- Operation Duration
- 30-60 minutes
- 1 day
- 2-3 days
- Time to Result
- 3 months
Total price: 500 United States dollar
Varicocele happens when the veins above the testicles enlarge and twist. As one of the most common causes of infertility in men, varicocele decreases sperm production, reduces sperm quality, and causes scrotal discomfort. However, not all men with varicocele will be infertile; in fact, this disease can be easily diagnosed by a doctor and be treated with timely treatment, which is usually surgery.
What Is Varicocele?
Varicocele occurs when the blood vessels in the scrotum become enlarged due to the impaired blood flow in the testicles. This disease cannot be considered a serious disorder, but its complications can lead to fertility problems. Varicocele usually doesn’t cause severe pain, but if you feel pain in your testis when you are standing for long periods of time or doing strenuous activities, you should see a doctor.
Usually, people do not notice varicocele by themselves and they should be physically examined by a doctor. So, if you noticed any of the following symptoms, go for a checkup.
- Any change in the size, shape and appearance of the testicles;
- Emergence of neoplasm in the testis;
- Not being able to conceive a child after one year of trying; and
- Swelling of the scrotum.
If the doctor does not identify varicocele with physical examinations, he/she will suggest taking diagnostic lab tests. Ultrasound, semen analysis, and hormonal tests can help diagnose the cause of varicocele.
Reasons for Doing Varicocelectomy in Iran
Since Iran has the best urologist in the Middle East, many patients travel to this country to do surgical treatments for their male problems. In Iran, varicocelectomy is done in the top hospitals of the country and by the hands of experienced and knowledgeable surgeons. Most importantly, the cost of varicocelectomy in Iran is much more affordable than in nearby countries. All these features have made Iran an appropriate place for doing varicocele surgery.
Cost of Varicocele Surgery in Iran
The cost of varicocele surgery in Iran depends on the severity of the disease, the type of the surgery, facilities of the hospital, and the surgeon’s fee. On an average, the cost of varicocelectomy in Iran varies from $1,300 to $4,500.
Types of Varicocele Surgery in Iran
In Iran, varicocele surgery is done in three ways. Depending on the severity and grade of varicocele, one of the following methods are used:
In this method, the doctor first uses a surgical microscope or doppler ultrasound device to accurately examine the condition of the veins. Then, he/she makes an incision on groin or abdomen to make it easier to access the desired vein. Open varicocelectomy can be performed both under local and general anesthesia and will have the least side effects. The recovery period of open varicocele surgery is about two weeks; however, from two days after the operation, the patient can do his daily activities.
In this method also, an incision is made on the abdomen and then, a laparoscope with a light and camera are inserted into the body to locate the damaged vein. After cutting the swollen vessel, the tools are removed from the body and the incisions are sutured.
This method is outpatient and is done under local anesthesia. Compared to the other methods, skin embolization is done less often because it is a rather complex surgery and the radiologist and the surgeon must work together to perform it. During this treatment, special tools are inserted into the body through jugular vein or groin and after that, the doctor inserts a kind of solution into the damaged vein. This solution helps to divert blood flow from the testicular veins and reduces swelling.
Best Candidates for Varicocele Surgery in Iran
Varicocele surgery is suitable for people who have the following problems:
- The volume of one testicle (usually the left one) is reduced by about 25% compared to the other;
- The spermogram test is abnormal;
- There is abnormality in the shape of the testis;
- The man couldn’t conceive a child in the past 12 months;
- The patient feels that the skin of the testis is heavy, tightening, and painful;
- There is pain in the testicular that gets worse after strenuous activity or heat exposure; and
- There is a reduction in sperm numbers.
Varicocele Doctor in Iran
Iran has the best urologists and varicocelectomy surgeons in the world who have graduated from top universities in Iran all over the world. Most of the varicocele doctors in Iran are the members of national and international urology communities and are considered great investigators as well. So, you can easily trust the varicocele surgeons in Iran and relieve your pain in this country.
Varicocelectomy in Iran: How to Prepare
Before doing varicocelectomy in Iran, you should take the following considerations:
- Take the prescribed blood test and semen analysis;
- Shave the operation area the night before the surgery;
- Avoid taking blood thinners and herbal supplements from 24 hours before the surgery;
- Do not eat or drink for 12 hours before the operation;
- Ask someone to drive you home; and
- Stop smoking and drinking for about a week before the surgery.
Possible Complications of Varicocele Surgery in Iran
Just like other surgeries, varicocele surgery has its own pros and cons. The advantages of this operation are the reduction of pain, increase in sperm production, and elimination of fertility problems. On the other hand, you may face some complications after varicocelectomy in Iran such as:
- Pain in incision site;
- Feeling nauseous;
- Having problem in urinating;
- Infection of the wound or bleeding around the operation site;
- Numbness in scrotum;
- Varicocele recurrence;
- Hydrocele (accumulation of fluid around the testicles); and
- Testicular atrophy (decrease in the size of the testis).
Varicocelectomy in Iran: Aftercare
Although varicocelectomy takes 30 to 40 minutes, its recovery period takes about two weeks. During this period, consider the following tips:
- Do not exercise or lift heavy objects;
- Stay hydrated;
- To reduce the swelling, put ice pack on testis a couple of times a day;
- Do not walk the day after the surgery unless it is necessary;
- Two or three days after surgery, if there is no discharge, you can remove the dressing and take a bath;
- Take the prescribed medications on time;
- Do not have sexual intercourse for 15 days after the operation;
- Contact your doctor if you have abnormal discharge, swelling, bleeding, and severe fever;
- In case of having severe pain, take the prescribed painkillers; and
- Do not swim during the recovery period.
Frequently Asked Questions About Varicocele Surgery in Iran
In the following, we will answer to some of the FAQs about varicocele surgery in Iran:
1. Is varicocele surgery in Iran painful?
Although varicocele surgery is a complex operation, you won’t feel severe pain after it.
2. Is varicocele surgery in Iran worth it?
Yes. Varicocele surgery can eliminate this problem and improve your semen quality. So, if you intend to have a child but you have varicocele, consider surgical treatment in Iran.
3. How long does it take for varicocele to disappear after surgery?
Usually, varicocele will disappear up to two months after the surgery but depending on the severity of the disease, it may take longer or shorter.
4. Does varicocele return after varicocelectomy?
The chance of varicocele recurrence depends on the treatment technique and severity of the disease. In general, one in ten men may experience varicocele return after varicocelectomy.
5. How many days should I stay in Iran after varicocele surgery?
Although you will be discharged from the hospital a day after the operation, your doctor may recommend you to stay in Iran for two weeks after the surgery.
Arrival at IKA, transfer to the hotel and check in. Take a short break and head to the clinic to visit the doctor (if is needed). Go to the restaurant and have dinner with Raadina Health team.
Move to the hospital for performing ultrasound and initial checkups, get ready for the surgery and stay in the hospital for one to two hours after the surgery.
Go to visit the doctor in order to examine the surgical site. Try to walk at the doctor's discretion.
Rest in the hotel, go to the clinic to visit the doctor and receive permission to return to your country.
Check out and transfer to the airport.