Breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery through which the extra fat, tissue, and skin are removed from the breasts. This complicated surgery aims to reduce the size of the breasts, give aesthetic shape to them, and reduce the discomfort caused by huge breasts.
To have the best result from breast reduction surgery, the experience of the surgeon as well as the material and techniques used during the surgery is essential. In Iran, thousands of breast cosmetic surgeries -including mammoplasty- are done yearly. However, despite skilled surgeons and high-quality medical centers and services, Iran's treatment cost is meager compared to other countries.
If you intend to undergo breast reduction surgery in Iran, read the following article to get more information on the price, procedure, recovery period, etc.
What Is Mammoplasty Surgery?
Mammoplasty is a breast cosmetic surgery in which the size and shape of the breast are changed. In general, mammoplasty is divided into three categories:
Breast reduction: This surgery is often performed to reduce the size of the breasts in people who suffer from pain in the neck and shoulders, chronic backache, rash under the breasts (called intertrigo), etc., caused by heavy breasts. This surgery can also be done for aesthetic purposes and increasing self-confidence in patients. During breast reduction surgery, the surgeon removes some parts of the fatty and glandular tissues to achieve a breast size in proportion with the patient’s body.
Breast augmentation: It is a breast cosmetic surgery through which the breasts are enlarged and reshaped using saline or silicone implants. In breast augmentation, some incisions are made either under the breast, along the areolar edge, or in the armpits. Then, the prostheses are placed under the breast tissue or chest muscle.
Breast reconstruction: This surgery is often performed on patients who have lost one or two breasts due to mastectomy (a treatment for breast cancer), burn, or congenital problems such as Poland syndrome. In breast reconstruction surgery, the breast is recreated using an artificial implant or the patient’s tissues. Usually, the physicians use abdominal tissue, back muscle, or fat and muscle of the buttock to reconstruct the breast.
Why Is Iran the Best Choice for Breast Reduction Surgery?
In Iran, thousands of breast cosmetic surgeries such as breast reduction and breast augmentation are done annually and almost all the patients are satisfied with the results. Moreover, Iran is renowned for its skilled and board-certified surgeons, well-equipped hospitals, affordable prices, etc. So, if you wish to undergo breast reduction surgery, Iran is one of the best options you may have.
Cost of Breast Reduction in Iran
The price of breast reduction in Iran depends on several factors such as the experience and knowledge of the surgeon, the hospital, the size of the surgery, anesthetizing, follow-up care, etc. However, the overall cost of reduction mammoplasty in Iran is between $2,500 to $4,000 while in the U.S. it is between $6,000 to $8,000, and in the UAE about $10,000.
The Best Candidates for Breast Reduction Surgery
As mentioned above, the best candidates for breast reduction surgery are those who want to change the size of their breasts for beauty purposes or to solve physical problems.
In general, reduction mammoplasty is suitable for people who:
- Have asymmetrical breasts;
- Passed the age of puberty and their breasts stopped growing;
- Have low self-esteem due to inappropriate appearance of the breasts;
- Suffer from wrinkles, inflammation, and infection of the skin under the breasts;
- Have problem doing daily activities and exercise; and
- Suffer from neck, back, or shoulder pain due to having heavy breasts.
Breast Reduction Surgeons in Iran
The breast reduction surgeons in Iran are famous for their skill, knowledge, accuracy, and artistry. These physicians, who mostly graduated from top universities in Iran and other countries, use the latest techniques and advanced tools to achieve the best results. Moreover, they are well aware of the complications and risks of reduction mammoplasty, so they do their best to minimize the side effects.
You can confidently choose Iranian surgeons for your breast reduction and enjoy the result of your surgery afterward.
How Should I Prepare for Breast Reduction Surgery in Iran?
Before undergoing breast reduction surgery in Iran, it is necessary to consider the following tips to have the best surgical process:
- Be aware of possible complications of the surgery;
- Select the type of anesthesia to be used;
- Stop smoking before and after the surgery;
- Take a photo of your breasts and record them in your medical history;
- Check the condition of your breasts and their size with your surgeon;
- Consult your physician about postoperative expectations;
- Create a personal health record, perform general health assessment, and do the required lab tests;
- Stop using aspirin and other blood thinners, herbal supplements, and anti-inflammatory drugs before the surgery;
- Remove breast and nipple piercings;
- Do not apply lotions, perfumes, and deodorants right before breast reduction; etc.
Process of Breast Reduction Surgery in Iran
In Iran, breast reduction is made in 5 steps:
- Anesthesia: since reduction mammoplasty is an elective procedure, it is almost always performed under general anesthesia. In some specific cases, the surgery is performed under local anesthesia in a way that the incision site gets numb while the patient is in a light sleep;
- Incision: then, an incision is made around the areola (the area surrounding the nipple) and goes down straight to the bottom of the breast. This vertical incision is called anchor-shaped or inverted T.
- Removing extra tissue and fat: in this step, the excess tissue, fat, and skin of the breast are removed while the original blood supplies and nerves of the nipple remain intact. Usually, the huge breasts are reshaped, and the nipple and areola are repositioned.
- Closing the incision: at the end, the incision is closed by layered sutures. This scar gets pale over time, but usually, it is permanent.
- Enjoying the results: the last stage of breast reduction surgery is enjoying the operation results and getting ready for recovery.
Risks and Side Effects of Breast Reduction in Iran
Although breast reduction is not a simple procedure, it does not have any major side effects. However, some of the complications observed after this surgery include:
- Breast asymmetry;
- Total or partial loss of sensation in nipples;
- Inflammation and bruising of the breasts up to three weeks -and sometimes three months- after the surgery;
- Infection and bleeding with symptoms such as pain and redness at the incision site, discharge of fluid and pus, fever, etc.
- Lactation and breastfeeding problems due to the displacement of the nipple;
- Damage to the milk ducts and nerves in the nipple;
- Long-lasting scars on the breasts;
- The problem in sleeping due to the administration of anesthesia; etc.
What to Do after Breast Reduction Surgery in Iran?
After doing breast reduction in Iran, you should take care of yourself to minimize the possible complications of the surgery. In the following, some necessary post-op instructions are mentioned:
- Use prescribed medications regularly;
- Avoid lifting heavy objects, even your baby;
- Reduce sodium intake;
- Eat pineapple to reduce swelling;
- Use a medical bra during recovery;
- Start a light diet and eat soft food;
- Stay hydrated;
- After consulting your doctor, walk slowly to speed up the healing process;
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol for 4 weeks after the surgery;
- Keep the wounds dry and take a bath at least two days after surgery; and
- Ask a family member to be your caregiver for up to 24 hours after the surgery.
Contact us for a free initial consultation about breast reductionWhatsAppTelegramFacebookEmail
FAQs about Breast Reduction in Iran
In the following, you may find the answer to some of your questions about breast reduction surgery in Iran.
1. Who Shouldn’t Do Reduction Mammoplasty?
Before doing a reduction mammoplasty in Iran, your physical condition and medical history are examined. In general, breast reduction is unsuitable for very overweight people, people with diabetes, and patients with serious breast problems.
2. Can I Get Pregnant after Breast Reduction Surgery?
It’s better to postpone breast reduction surgery until after pregnancy since the breast’s size changes during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Moreover, complete your weight loss program before the surgery if you decide to lose weight.
3. How Painful Is Breast Reduction Surgery?
According to the experience of those who have done breast reduction surgery in Iran, the postoperative pain is not so severe. The severity of the pain reduction mammoplasty depends on the amount of tissue removed from the breast. In general, you may feel moderate pain for two or three weeks which can be relieved by painkillers.
4. Does Reduction Mammoplasty in Iran Prevent Breast Cancer?
One of the most common questions about reduction mammoplasty is its effectiveness in preventing breast cancer. According to some experts, reducing the volume of breast tissue can reduce the risk of cancer; however, this possibility has not been proven so far. It is noteworthy that before undergoing breast cosmetic surgery, you should ensure that you do not have breast cancer.