Bones are living tissues degraded and replaced continuously through the time. They usually grow until the age 30. Osteoporosis is the disease related to the bones and refers to the condition in which bones become weak and fragile due to the lack of minerals such as calcium. Osteoporosis does not appear suddenly, but develops over time. As the bone density decreases, the Osteoporosis occurs mostly in the hip, wrist or spine. However, it is often diagnosed in elderly.
As it was mentioned above, the osteoporosis does not have any especial symptoms in early stages. So, it is known as the silent thief. However, when it progresses the symptoms appearing include:
- A bone fracture particularly in hip, wrist and spine;
- Loss of bone height gradually;
- Back pain.
Osteoporosis may develop due to a wide range of factors such as:
- Sex: all people, both men and women, may suffer from it. However, the menopausal women are considered at the highest risk;
- Race: it can affect on all races particularly the white and of Asian have the greatest risk;
- Family history and heredity;
- Medical conditions and treatments;
- Some diseases such as the common liver diseases, kidney diseases and thyroid diseases;
- Abnormal low weight;
- A diet poor in vitamin D and calcium.
The treatments for osteoporosis increase the density of the bones. Thus the likelihood of fracture reduces. The doctor will determine what kind of treatment is appropriate. The treatments include:
These common prescribed drugs particularly for the menopausal women prevent the loss of bone density by producing restructured weaken bones.
Usually it is recommended to use calcium and vitamin D to increase bone strength and restore the degraded tissues.
The healthy diet plays an effective role in occurrence of osteoporosis. People who do not take enough calcium in their diet or receive inadequate vitamin D are more likely to experience osteoporosis.
Exercise is regarded as a defense against osteoporosis. It yields you the strong bones. Doing exercise, particularly isometrics develops the muscles strength, moves the adjacent bones and decreases the pressure on the bones that should bear and minimize the pain. It benefits the bone density and as a result, it prevents osteoporosis.