The cochlear implant or bionic ear with the function of the damaged inner ear is an electronic medical device that is used by those who experience severe hearing loss. There is a difference between it and the other hearing aids in terms of their functions as it plays the role of damaged parts of the inner ear. However, the hearing aids make the sound hear louder. The cochlear implant is very effective for patients who experience a severe hearing problem/loss, especially if it has been occurred recently and annoying with buzz noise. It consists of two external and the internal components. The external piece is put back of the ear and the internal one implanted in the ear and skin surface through the surgery.
As it is mentioned above the cochlear implant includes some implanted parts as well as the outer parts. The components work:
- The antenna receiving the signals from the sound processor that is put behind the ear.
- The receiver-stimulator managing the electrical signals into the ear.
- The magnet for holding the speech processor.
- The wire with some electrodes inserted into the cochlea.
- Microphone gets the environmental sounds.
- Sound processor that is put behind the ear processing the sounds.
- The receiver-stimulator receiving the sound signals and turn them to the electrical signals the ear.
- Electrodes are responsible for sending electrical pulses to the different auditory nerves.
The all parts must be placed in the right situation/condition/form to work together in order to receive the sound, convey it to the auditory nerve, then transmit it to the brain and finally provide hearing the sound.
The cochlear implant helps the people with severe hearing loss to communicate properly. It is more suitable for infants and children are learning the language skills. It also is effective for improving severe hearing loss as the cochlear implant can restore the damaged structure of the inner ear and stimulates the auditory nerves.
The cochlear implant includes some advantages, as following:
- It works better than hearing aids
- It can be effective even in noisy environments that helps one to communicate with several people in crowded places at the same time
- Progressing in speech and language skills
- Do well in the society and improving the confidence
- Talk and hear on the phone
- Feel safer in the world as they can hear alarms, people calling out and approaching vehicles
- Listen to music and enjoy it