Breast Reduction Surgery Recovery TipsBody Plastic Surgery
The shape and size of the breasts play a crucial role in women's body style, so many women undergo breast cosmetic surgeries to have perfect breasts. Breast enlargement can be due to heredity or postpartum physical changes; however, you can reduce the size of your breasts through breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammoplasty. If you want to know about the most common types of plastic surgery, follow this article.
Reduction mammoplasty requires special care; otherwise, the patient may face some complications. However, reduction mammoplasty is one of the most common surgeries that, if performed by an experienced surgeon, risk-reducing problems.
Continue reading to find the answers to your questions about the breast reduction recovery process.
Breast Reduction Result
A successful breast reduction surgery can lower the chronic pain in your back, neck, and shoulders and enhance your self-image. Also, it will reduce your skin irritations and improve your general health and hygiene. Unfortunately, you cannot see the actual results of the surgery right away, and you should wait at least a month before enjoying its final result. Remember that factors such as aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding, changes in hormones, and unbalanced BMI can affect the long-lasting results of reduction mammoplasty.
Breast Reduction Recovery Timeline
The recovery period after breast reduction depends on the size of the surgery and the individual's general physical condition; however, it usually takes about 2-4 weeks. So, if you intend to do a reduction mammoplasty, you have to take a leave from work for at least 15 days.
Moreover, after the surgery, it is necessary to avoid doing heavy activities for two months, and the usual care should be continued for up to 6 months. It would help if you kept in mind that mild pain is expected during this stage, and you can use the prescribed pain medicines to control it.
Right after reduction mammoplasty
When the surgery is over, your healthcare provider will wrap your breasts with a bandage and a surgical bra to hold them tight. Also, a drain will be placed in your body to avoid the accumulation of blood and fluid under your skin. Usually, the doctor gives you a painkiller and some antibiotics right after surgery to prevent future pain and infection.
The first days after reduction mammoplasty
In the first couple of days after mammoplasty reduction, you will experience severe pain, swelling, bruising, tightness, and tenderness all over your chest. These days, taking your prescribed medications, wearing a surgical bra, and avoiding heavy activities are necessary.
Weeks after reduction mammoplasty
In the first few weeks after reduced mammoplasty, the swelling and bruising will subside greatly, and you can return to your daily routine. However, if you still feel pain and discomfort, you should consult your doctor about returning to work. In some cases where the patient has a physically demanding job, the doctor asks them to stay home a bit longer.
Months after reduction mammoplasty
Several months after the reduction mammoplasty, your pain and bruising will be completely gone, and you will feel much better. However, you should be aware of infection symptoms such as fever, severe soreness in the stitches, green or yellow fluid coming out of the incision site, etc. After a month or two, your breasts will begin to feel natural and soft, and you can almost see the final results of the surgery.
Breast Reduction Post-Surgery Care
Some essential cares after breast reduction include:
- Pay attention to your physician's instructions and take the prescribed meds;
- Avoid wearing underwire bras for a few months;
- Consult your doctor about when you can drive;
- Avoid doing heavy activities and jumping for at least a month;
- Do not take a shower until your bandage is removed;
- Drink plenty of water to speed up the recovery process;
- After being discharged, ask someone to drive you home since you may feel dizzy due to anesthesia;
- Consult your doctor about when you can have sex;
- Avoid smoking and drinking for at least four weeks after breast reduction;
- Avoid heavy meals and eat easy-to-digest dishes;
- The patient should avoid heavy exercises such as aerobics and Pilates for at least a month;
- Put two or three pillows around yourself while sleeping to protect your wound, chest, etc.
What to Wear after Breast Reduction Surgery?
If you intend to undergo a reduction mammoplasty, you may wonder what dressing should be used after the surgery. Here is the answer to your question about breast reduction recovery:
Immediately after breast reduction surgery, the breast is covered with gauze dressings and a specific medical bra. After two days, the gauze is changed with a new one, and a bandage is used to keep the wound clean for the next 4 or 5 days. Meanwhile, you can use ABD, maxi, or nursing pads to control bleeding and protect the wound. When your drain is obliterated, you don't need to dress anymore.
Suture Removal after Breast Reduction Surgery
Usually, surgeons use absorbable sutures in breast reduction surgery. However, the nonabsorbable sutures will be removed 5 to 10 days after the surgery. Removing stitches after breast reduction is not painful or discomforting for most patients. After suture removal, shower and clean the wound with hot water.
Breast Reduction Surgery Scar
In breast reduction, the surgeons choose the location of the incision in such a way that it is hidden under the bra and swimsuit. Although the incision lines fade over time, you can use scar gels, laser therapy, vitamin E supplements, silicone oil-based creams, etc., to minimize the scars.
Diet after Breast Reduction Surgery
In breast reduction surgery, the excess fat, skin, and tissue of the breast are removed entirely and cannot grow back; the surgery results are almost permanent. However, if you follow an unhealthy diet and gain weight, your breasts may enlarge again over time. So, it is essential to have a low-calorie and nutritious diet for breast reduction recovery.
Exercise after Breast Reduction Surgery
For a few weeks after breast reduction, you may feel pain in your chest, preventing you from moving your shoulders and arms. Light exercises at home can reduce breast, shoulder, and arm pain, but you must consult your doctor before beginning an exercise routine.
In general, the breast reduction recovery period after reduction mammoplasty is 4 to 8 weeks, and it is recommended to postpone doing heavy exercises until after. However, 1 or 2 weeks after the surgery, you can do light exercises such as ambling and stretching to speed up the healing process and prevent blood clots.
You may have heard conflicting opinions about doing or not doing this cosmetic procedure from those around you, but remember that people are only retelling their personal experiences, and there is nothing to do but consult a surgeon and experienced breast specialist.
Showering after Breast Reduction Surgery
For showering after breast reduction surgery, consider the following tips for breast reduction recovery:
- Avoid showering 48 hours after the operation because your incisions must remain dry. If you are urged to wash your body, you can shower only from your waist down;
- You can take a shower 24 hours after removing the drains;
- After drain removal, wash your body and dry it completely with a clean towel to prevent infection;
- Before taking a bath, take off your bra and bandages and when you are out of the shower, wear a clean bra;
- Since your chest is numb, check the water temperature with the back of your hand;
- do not take a shower while you are alone. There must be at least one person at home when you are in the bathroom;
- Use fragrance-free soap and shampoo to wash your body and hair;
- Do not rub the incision site with a loofah and towel;
- Wash your body with warm (not hot) water, and do not point the shower directly at your stitches;
- Avoid using hot tub and sauna for two months as they may cause infection;
- Do not apply alcohol-based products on and around the incisions; and
- Before using lotion, cream, and deodorants, consult with your surgeon.
Breast Reduction Surgery in Iran
Iran is a favorable destination for people who want to undergo various cosmetic surgeries abroad. Breast Reduction in Iran is performed by proficient plastic surgeons and at a more reasonable price than in other countries.
Begin here to find more information about performing breast reduction surgery in Iran.
We offer you an economy package in which we have considered all you need to have an unforgettable travel experience that will bring you beauty and physical fitness.
Contact us for a free initial consultation about breast reduction surgery in IranWhatsAppTelegramFacebookEmail
FAQs on Breast Reduction Recovery
1) How long after breast reduction will I see the final size of my breast?
Although the swelling subsides a week after the operation, it usually takes three to four weeks to see your final size after breast reduction.
2) How long does the pain last after breast reduction?
You probably feel pain, tightness, and pressure in your chest for two to three weeks after breast reduction surgery.
3) Will the results of breast reduction last?
Breast reduction results are long-lasting in most women; however, it is always possible that your breasts return to their previous size over time.
4) What is the best age for doing breast reduction surgery?
You should be at least 18 years old for breast reduction surgery. In some rare cases where large breasts cause severe problems for the patient, they can undergo this surgery sooner.
5) How long does the recovery after breast reduction surgery take?
Depending on the surgery's extent and the patient's health condition, the whole process of recovery after breast reduction will take six to eight weeks. If the patient gets infected or does not rest enough, this process will take longer.