What are the Most Common Types of Cosmetic Surgery?Body Plastic Surgery
Plastic cosmetic surgery is an excellent choice for people who want to improve their appearances and reach their extreme beauty goals. Women are no longer the only ones having cosmetic surgeries; men are also becoming big fans.
Cosmetic surgery can tighten and modify the skin, adjust facial parts, add or remove hair, and more. It may likewise be used for medical purposes, such as for people who have had accidents, to bring back the function of a body part, or to correct scars from surgery.
Cosmetic procedures can completely alter an individual's appearance or make a small-scale modification. They can affect the individuals' physical appearance, confidence, and self-esteem.
Cosmetic surgeons perform a vast range of cosmetic procedures. This article will introduce the most common types of plastic surgeries.
The Most Common Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
Cosmetic plastic surgery is a procedure that is performed to enhance and reshape certain parts of body structure and improve appearance and confidence. Plastic surgeons and doctors from different fields can do cosmetic surgery.
Here are the most common types of cosmetic surgery:
- Breast Augmentation;
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy);
- Tummy Tuck;
- Breast Reduction.
Breast augmentation, also known as augmentation mammoplasty, is one of the most common cosmetic surgery in which implants are inserted behind the breast tissue or under the chest muscle to give volume to the breast. The implants last from 7 to 12 years on average.
The implant type and size depend on factors such as the target breast size, the breast anatomy, skin thickness and elasticity, and body type.
Breast implants can be used to:
- Enlarge small breasts.
- Restore breast size after weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding.
- Adjust uneven breasts due to surgery or another condition.
- Reconstruct the breast after a mastectomy (breast removal) or another breast surgery.
The two main types of breast implants a below:
- Saline implants are filled with sterile salt water (saline). This solution is held in a silicone shell. Saline implants can affect the breast's shape, firmness, and feel. If a saline implant leaks, the body will absorb and expel the solution naturally.
- Silicone implants are filled with an elastic gel that feels like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may stay in the shell or escape into the scar capsule (the area around the implant) or even breast tissue. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel may or may not expel.
Breast augmentation surgery is done under general anesthesia. It usually takes about one to two hours. After surgery, the surgeon will wrap the breasts with a bra or elastic band to support them during recovery. Patients may experience some pain and discomfort after surgery. They can return to their routine after a week. Breast implants are not guaranteed to last a lifetime, and future surgery may be required to replace one or both implants.
Liposuction, also called lipoplasty or body contouring, is a type of surgical cosmetic procedure that removes fat from specific body areas through suction. It also shapes the abdomen, upper arms, buttocks, calves and ankles, chest and back, hips and thighs, and chin and neck. Liposuction surgery should not be considered a weight-loss procedure. People with excess body fat in the mentioned specific spots but at a stable weight are the best candidates for this surgery.
The options for administering medications during liposuction surgery are local anesthesia, intravenous sedation, or general anesthesia. It is up to the surgeon who decides the best choice for the patient. During the surgery, the surgeon makes a small incision in the surgical area and inserts a suction tube, known as a cannula, there. The cannula, attached to a vacuum-like machine, is moved back and forth and drains excess fat from the area. The treated spot is then bandaged. The surgery usually takes 1 to 3 hours. Patients will return to their normal activities in a week. They will see the body improvement within one to two weeks. However, it takes at least three to four months, and sometimes six months, to see the treatment's total result.
Rhinoplasty, commonly called a "nose job," is one of the most common types of cosmetic surgery. It modifies the shape of the nose and can be done both for cosmetic and medical purposes.
The cosmetic reasons are correct:
- the nose width or length
- bumps or depressions on the bridge of the nose
- the nose tip
- the nostrils' shape and width
- Nose symmetry
If rhinoplasty is simple, a local anesthetic is administered to the nose to numb the face. However, if, according to the surgeon's diagnosis, it is more complicated, it will require a general anesthetic. The procedure usually lasts 1.5 to 3 hours. It may be an open or closed procedure.
In open rhinoplasty, a surgeon will cut across the columella (the narrow tissue strip separating the nostrils). Since it allows better access and visibility of the nasal structures, it is a better option for people needing significant reconstruction.
Closed rhinoplasty is used for minor modifications. In this kind of rhinoplasty, the surgeon cuts across the inside of the nose, and there is no visible scarring.
A facelift (also known as a rhytidectomy) is any surgical procedure that improves signs of ageing in the face or neck by repositioning or removing skin, fat, and muscle.
Facelift surgery is mainly performed under general anaesthetic. During facelift surgery, a surgeon generally:
- Makes incisions around the ears, hairline, and below the chin.
- Separates the skin from the underlying tissues.
- Tightens the muscles of the face and neck as needed.
- Removes excess fat in the neck and jowls.
- Repositions the remaining skin.
- Bandages the face.
This surgery takes 2 to 3 hours. Most patients return to work and do routine activities in about ten days. Different types of facelift surgery are Traditional facelifts, SMAS facelifts, deep plane facelifts, Mid-facelifts, Mini-facelifts, and Cutaneous (skin) facelifts.
Blepharoplasty is a type of cosmetic surgery that removes signs of ageing around the eyes and improves the look of the eyelids. It can treat excess upper and lower eyelid skin, bags or wrinkles under the eyes, and fat deposits that appear as puffiness in the eyelids.
In an upper lid surgery, the surgeon:
- makes an incision across the eyelid line
- removes excess skin or fat
- closes the incision.
In a lower lid surgery, the surgeon:
- Make an incision below the lower eyelashes or the lower eyelid inside.
- Removes fats from the eye bags.
- It sometimes removes excess skin or wrinkles below the eyes.
- Tightens the muscles of the eyelid if needed.
- Closes the incision.
An upper blepharoplasty lasts about 1 hour, and surgery on the lower lid takes up to 2 hours. Most patients can go home on the same day. Recovery time for lower lid surgery is a little longer.
A tummy tuck, or Abdominoplasty, is a plastic cosmetic surgery that removes the excess fat and skin from the abdomen and tightens the abdominal muscles loosened due to pregnancy, excessive weight loss, or genetic reasons.
During the tummy tuck surgery, the surgeon:
- Administers general anaesthesia.
- Make a horizontally-oriented incision between the pubic hairline and the belly button.
- Removes excess fat and skin,
- repositions the remaining skin, and stitches it in place.
A tummy tuck surgery takes about 2 to 5 hours. Patients should stay one or two nights in the hospital. It takes about six weeks to recover fully, and the patients must wear a compression garment.
Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammaplasty, is a surgical cosmetic procedure that involves removing the excess breast volume, including fat, tissue, and skin, from the breasts to reduce the size and reshape the breasts.
Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. This surgery takes 3 to 4 hours, depending on the extent of the breast reduction, and patients usually need to stay in the hospital for 1 or 2 nights.
Iran, the Most Affordable Destination for Plastic Surgery
Many patients worldwide travel to Iran for different kinds of plastic surgery. The factors which have made Iran one of the best destinations for medical tourism are:
- As many plastic surgeries are performed annually in Iran, surgeons are up-to-date and experienced.
- Hospitals are advanced with high-quality equipment.
- Plastic surgery costs in Iran are very affordable compared to other countries. This low price does not mean that the quality is also low. It is for economic reasons and the low value of the Iranian rial.
Contact us for a free initial consultation about cosmetic surgeriesWhatsAppTelegramFacebookEmail