Chin Liposuction: Best Procedure to Get rid of Double ChinBody Plastic Surgery
Double chin, also known as submental fat, refers to extra layers of fatty tissues that develop under the chin and make the face and neck look bigger and wider. A double chin can be shrunk by exercising and maintaining a healthy diet, but it may take months before its changes are apparent. Liposuction surgery is the fastest and most permanent double chin removal method. This article introduces chin liposuction and explores its types and drawbacks.
Chin Liposuction: Types and Procedure
Today, two liposuction techniques are practiced to remove double chin; micro lipo (tumescent liposuction) and VASER liposuction. Continue reading to learn more about these two methods.
Microlipo for double chin
Microlipo, or tumescent liposuction, is a minimally invasive face contouring procedure in which extra fat pockets are removed from the chin to make it smaller. This operation begins with injecting tumescent (salty water) and lidocaine into the target area. Tumescent liquid smooths the fat deposits and compresses the blood vessels to prevent bruising and bleeding. The lidocaine also numbs the chin to minimize discomfort during the operation.
When a tumescent solution softens the fat, the surgeon makes tiny incisions under the jawline and inserts a suction device (cannula) to suck out the fat cells. After removing the fat, the incisions are either sutured or taped, and the chin is bandaged.
Notably, the whole procedure of tumescent liposuction takes 45 to 120 minutes, and almost 10 to 20 milligrams of fat can be extracted in one session. The amount of fat removed from your chin depends on your preferences and the form of your face. Although the results of this operation are immediately visible, it takes four to six weeks for the swelling to subside and for the final results to be revealed.
VASER liposuction for double chin
VASER lipo is the same as micro-liposuction, with only one difference. After injecting tumescent and lidocaine, the doctor inserts a tiny probe into the chin through a micro-incision and emits sound energy to break the fat walls more and better. After melting the fat, the suction device is inserted to extract the fat cells. Although more expensive, this technique is more precise and allows accurate facial contouring. Also, it is a better option for the ones with larger double chins and more stubborn fats in the neck. If you maintain a stable weight, the results of this operation are lifelong.
Double Chin Liposuction Recovery
Double chin is an outpatient procedure, so you will be discharged on the same day. As sedatives are in your blood for 24 hours after the surgery, you must ask someone to drive you home and be your caregiver until the anesthetics are flushed out. The recovery time of both VASER and tumescent liposuction ranges between 7 to 14 days, but most patients feel healthy enough to get back to work within 48 hours. During the chin liposuction recovery period, consider the following tips:
- Avoid strenuous activities such as lifting, bending, jumping, and running;
- If you have a physical-demanding job, take a week off from work;
- Avoid showering for 48 hours after the surgery;
- Keep your incisions dry and clean;
- Maintain a low-fat diet. You may resume your regular diet once you feel less nauseous;
- Drink plenty of fluid to reduce the complications of anesthesia, including nausea, headache, and blurred vision;
- Refrain from applying pressure on the chin;
- Do not sleep on your stomach until your wounds are fully healed;
- If you have bruising, put a cold compress on it for 15 minutes three times a day;
- Wear your compression sleeve for seven days to reduce the swelling in your chin and
- Take your antibiotics and prescribed painkillers to prevent infection and sharp pain.
Possible Risks of Chin Liposuction
Despite its numerous advantages, chin liposuction has potential risks and side effects that may discourage some patients. In the following some of the risks of this surgery are enumerated:
- Bleeding and bruising;
- Excessive swelling in the first 10 days;
- Skin infection and necrosis;
- Fat embolism;
- Fluid accumulation under the skin;
- Damage to the nerve and vessels;
- Dimpling of the skin;
- Scarring and formation of hypertrophic scars;
- Contour irregularities;
- Pulmonary complications; and
- Change in skin sensitivity that may persist for a long time.
Contact us for a free initial consultation about chin liposuction.WhatsAppTelegramFacebookEmail
Ideal Candidates for Chin Liposuction
People with the following features are considered good candidates for chin liposuction.
- Having a chubby neck and jawline;
- Being a non-smoker;
- Being mentally healthy;
- Not having life-threatening diseases such as heart or lung problems, diabetes, coagulation disorders, or high blood pressure;
- Having realistic expectations;
- Having a stable BMI for the past six months;
- Having firm and elastic skin.
Why Does Double Chin Develop?
The double chin is the fat layer beneath the chin that covers the neck and creates a wrinkle. Different factors are associated with the development of a double chin, including:
- Weight gain
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Saggy salivary gland
- Weak chin
- Saggy platysma muscle
- Excess fat and tissue in the neck
Although difficult and time-consuming, a double chin can get smaller with jaw, neck, and chin exercises. These exercises strengthen the muscles and skin of the chin and reduce the fat volume in this area. Also, the double chin can be concealed by makeup products; however, surgical facial contouring is the most desirable way to remove a double chin.
Alternatives to Double Chin Liposuction
In addition to liposuction surgery, other methods help minimize the volume of a double chin.
- Facelift: in this procedure, fat and saggy skin are removed from the chin and neck to make the neck look taller and slimmer. If the fat and loose skin under the chin is too much, the surgeon performs facelift and lipo surgery simultaneously.
- Neck lift: this operation comprises two techniques, cervicoplasty, in which the loose skin is cut out, and platysmaplasty, which involves tightening the neck's muscles and skin to enhance its shape. Neck lift operation is mostly performed with a facelift to achieve maximum effects.
- Injection lipolysis: also known as mesotherapy, injection lipolysis is a non-surgical alternative to double chin liposuction. This method injects deoxycholic acid (Kybella) beneath the chin to dissolve the stubborn fats. Lipolysis is considered a novel treatment requiring two to six injection sessions; however, its results are long-lasting. Some complications of mesotherapy include nerve damage, swelling for 10 days, pain, redness and bruising, and prolonged numbness.
Double Chin Lipo Cost in Iran
The costs of plastic surgery in Iran are much lower than in other places, and at the same time, they are performed with high quality. A typical patient should expect to pay almost $480 for double chin liposuction in Iran. This number covers the surgeon's fee, anesthesia, hospital charge, consultation, and pre-op tests and imaging. The same procedure will cost you around $2.400 in Turkey, $1.500 in China, $1.500 in Canada, and $2,500 to $3,500 in the USA. Remember that getting a facelift or neck-lift and a double chin lipo in Iran will cost you twice as much.
FAQs About Double Chin Liposuction
1) How long do chin lipo results last?
The results of chin liposuction are permanent if your weight stays stable.
2) Does chin liposuction leave saggy skin?
The skin may get loose and saggy as much fat is removed from the chin. That's why most surgeons perform double chin liposuction and neck-lift and skin-tightening surgeries.
3) Is chin liposuction painful?
During the VASER and tumescent liposuction, you won't feel any pain because you are under anesthesia. However, some patients find mesotherapy injections painful.
4) Does my face get smaller after chin liposuction?
For the first few weeks after the surgery, your neck and chin are inflamed, but your face and chin will look smaller as the swelling goes down.
5) Does the fat come back after chin liposuction?
In chin liposuction, the fat is completely removed from the chin, and no fat cell stays alive in that area, but if you gain more than 10 pounds, new fat cells will grow in the operated site.