Best Foods After RhinoplastyFacial Plastic Surgery
Rhinoplasty aftercare is one of the most critical stages of this procedure which directly affects the result of the surgery. Having a proper rhinoplasty diet not only reduces the complications of this operation but also accelerates the healing process.
This article mentions the foods you must include in your diet and those you should avoid after nose surgery.
Don't miss this article if you want more information about rhinoplasty procedures.
When Can I Start Eating and Drinking after Nose Job?
After rhinoplasty, you may be asked to refrain from drinking water for at least half an hour. Afterward, you will be asked to drink plenty of water or fresh juice to reduce anesthesia complications. You can start eating soft foods such as smoothies and blended soup almost two hours after the nose job.
Rhinoplasty Diet: 6 Tips
The main aim of the rhinoplasty diet is to speed up the healing process, minimize the side effects of the nose job, boost the immune system, and reduce pain and inflammation. In the following, we discuss what to eat after rhinoplasty:
Eating high-fiber foods during the recovery period after rhinoplasty is crucial because they prevent constipation by regulating bowel movements. Foods with a high amount of fiber include pasta, wheat, cooked brown rice, wheat bread, popcorn, apple, orange, strawberry, pears, carrots, potatoes, green peas, broccoli, spinach, etc.
One of the most important things that you must include in your rhinoplasty diet is anti-inflammatory foods because by consuming them, the inflammation caused by the operation is reduced to a great extent. As a result, your recovery period will be shorter, and the wounds will heal faster. Foods containing unsaturated fats such as avocado, fatty fish, and olive oil, some vegetables such as strawberries, blueberries, broccoli, mushrooms, grapes and tomatoes, dark chocolate, and green tea are good examples of anti-inflammatory foods.
Another important type of food that must be included in your rhinoplasty diet is wound-healing ones. Read on to learn which foods help your wounds to heal faster after nose surgery:
- Foods rich in protein, such as meat, fish, eggs, and yogurt;
- Foods rich in vitamin A, such as carrots and oranges;
- Dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and lettuce;
- Foods rich in vitamin C include citrus fruits, tomatoes, strawberries, and white potatoes.
Foods that reduce anxiety
It is interesting to know that pain and inflammation are not the only things patients face after rhinoplasty. Some people also struggle with postoperative anxiety. Luckily, many types of food can relieve your anxiety, such as nuts, dark chocolate, green tea, and chamomile tea. However, you should consult your doctor before having any of them.
Fresh fruit and vegetable
Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals that the body needs after rhinoplasty. For example, pineapple, papaya, and peach can reduce swelling and inflammation because they contain an enzyme that prevents swelling and discomfort after nose surgery. Therefore, it is necessary to have fresh fruits and vegetables during the rhinoplasty recovery period.
Vitamins and minerals
Vitamins C and D and zinc are beneficial during nose job recovery. Vitamin C and zinc help skin regeneration and speed up the wound-healing process. Good sources of vitamins and zinc are dietary supplements and food such as meat, citrus fruits, tomato, etc.
What to Eat 24 Hours after Rhinoplasty
Since anesthetics remain in your body for almost a day after rhinoplasty, it is necessary to have foods that flush out the sedatives from your blood circulation. So,
- Drink plenty of water. It’s better to drink 4-6 glasses of plain water the day after rhinoplasty;
- Have foods rich in protein and carbohydrates to reduce inflammation and side effects of anesthesia;
- Avoid having alcohol, sparkling water, caffeine, and sodas;
- Eat soft foods such as smoothies, pudding, and soup;
- Avoid having foods that cause constipation or nausea; and
- Avoid having herbal tea, especially green tea, right after the surgery.
Rhinoplasty Diet: The First Week After Nose Job
As you cannot open your mouth or chew properly for a week after a nose job, you should eat soft foods such as scrambled eggs, steamed fruit, vegetables, cooked cereals, soft tuna, soft meatballs, etc.
Remember that your body needs vitamins and minerals in this period, so you have to eat nutrient-dense foods this week. Also, it would help if you drink plenty of fluids such as water, fresh juice, and an herbal tea containing ginger daily to prevent constipation and speed up healing.
What Foods to Avoid after Rhinoplasty
What to eat and what foods to avoid after rhinoplasty is of equal importance. Some foods that have a negative effect on the result of nose job and should not be consumed during its recovery period include:
- Alcohol: drinking alcoholic beverages after a nose job reduces the healing process speed and causes more nasal swelling. Also, having alcohol right after the surgery may interfere with anesthetics inside your body and cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Spicy foods: although spicy foods can reduce inflammation, they should be avoided for the first two weeks after rhinoplasty because they may cause digestive problems such as nausea, high blood pressure, nasal bleeding, and sneezing.
- Foods rich in sodium: salt increases swelling and inflammation. Therefore, it is recommended to strictly avoid high-sodium foods during recovery and even for a few months after the nose job.
- Processed foods: processed foods are rich in sugar, sodium, and saturated fats, all of which increase inflammation and reduce recovery speed.
- Too cold/hot foods: having too cold/hot foods may cause pain in the jaw, teeth, and, finally, the whole face.
- Hard foods: hard and crunchy foods should be highly avoided for at least two weeks after rhinoplasty as they add to recovery time and cause swelling and pain in the upper jaw.
- Caffeinated drink: it is recommended to avoid caffeine after nose surgery because it may delay the wound healing process. While this may be difficult for patients who drink coffee or tea every morning, it is important to stop drinking caffeinated beverages during the rhinoplasty recovery period.
Useful Drinks after Rhinoplasty
Drinking non-acidic fresh fruit juices after a nose job is recommended, especially celery and pineapple juice. Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which helps reduce swelling and bruising. Also, bromelain eases digestion by relieving nausea and even preventing nasal congestion. Celery juice also significantly reduces swelling and bruising around the eyes after rhinoplasty.
Acidic juices such as orange juice may irritate your stomach, so avoiding these juices is usually recommended after rhinoplasty. Another nutritious drink you can have during recovery is a protein shake containing almonds, peanuts, and seeds.
Overall, every patient should be aware of what to eat after rhinoplasty because it can impact the outcome of the surgery and make a recovery even harder. So if you have any questions about diet after rhinoplasty, contact us.
Contact us for a free initial consultation about diet after rhinoplasty in IranWhatsAppTelegramFacebookEmail
Radinaa Co. offers the most affordable and wholesome packages of rhinoplasty in Iran and provides you with various services such as applying for Iran medical visa, booking accommodations near the hospitals, arranging sightseeing tours for the patients and accompanies, etc.
FAQs about Rhinoplasty Diet
How long should I follow the rhinoplasty diet plan?
Most surgeons recommend following a rhinoplasty diet for the first two weeks after the surgery, as during this period, the body is trying to recover and heal the incisions.
Can I eat chewy foods after rhinoplasty?
After rhinoplasty, you cannot -and should not- open your mouth too much and have hard and crunchy foods.
What should I eat after rhinoplasty to reduce swelling?
In addition to using a cold compress, elevating your head when sleeping, etc., you can reduce postoperative swelling by having anti-inflammatory foods, including leafy green vegetables and foods rich in vitamin c, such as tomatoes and berries.
What can I eat on the day of rhinoplasty?
On the day of rhinoplasty, you can have soft foods such as yogurt, scrambled egg, mashed potato, soup, smoothies, etc. Remember that you should not eat too cold or hot for a week as your gums are sensitive to pain.
What can I eat immediately after a nose job?
It is advised not to eat anything immediately after the nose job until you feel less nauseous. You can have some water or pineapple juice a couple hours after the operation.
When can I eat solid food after rhinoplasty?
You can start having solid foods such as boiled potato and salad from the second week after rhinoplasty. Of course, avoiding chewy foods such as steak, carrots, and the candy is better until you have healed completely.